But visitors pay a minimum of $5,000 (and upwards of $25,000) for a measly 7 day trip.
So if you’re like me and want to experience Antarctica – but don’t have the money yet – we can live vicariously through these 5 fun facts!
- Antarctica is a desert because it receives very little rain.
- Penguins, whales, seals, and fish all live in Antarctica. There are no land mammals – including polar bears who live in the ARCTIC. In fact, the name “Antarctica” is the combination of “anti” and “artik” meaning “no bears.”
- Antarctica is managed by 45 countries, 7 of which claim parts of it as national territory. Those seven are: Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway and the UK.
- Antarctica has as much ice as there is water in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Antarctica is the highest, driest, windiest, coldest continent on Earth. Its lowest recorded temperature is -89.6ºF (-67ºC)! Brrrrr!!!
Pretty cool huh?
If you’re not like me – and have the money – check out what’s available:
Feature image (on top): Hurtigruten/Esther Kojkmeier
5 Crazy Things You Didn’t Know About Antarctica, written by Tor Kjolberg