The Royal Past of Lindøya, Oslo

0
954

Lindøya is a small island located in the Oslo fjord, just south of central Oslo. Administratively it belongs to the borough of Gamle Oslo (Old Oslo).

In 1920, Lindøya was the Oslo base for the pioneer Norwegian airline, Det Norske Luftfartrederi, and its seaplanes. The operation only lasted until the autumn of 1920. When regular seaplane routes were again established in 1927, the operation was moved to neighboring Gressholmen.

Lindøya, Oslo east side
Lindøya, Oslo east side

Today Lindøya is connected to Oslo from Town Hall Pier #4 by means of two boat routes: line 92 which docks on the western side of the island, and line 93 which docks on the eastern side. Service is year-round although very limited during the winter season.

However, once the island was restricted to the conditioned and the Royal Family.

The 'Regulars' House' at Lindøya, Oslo
The ‘Regulars’ House’ at Lindøya, Oslo

There is a beautiful empire-house on Lindøya. The hipped roof between heavy trees suggests its ancient origins. It is the former inn Stamhuset (The Regulars’ House), originating from a time in the 1700s, when Mogens Broch had an inn there.

Christiania Hunters Club at Lindholmen, Oslo
Christiania Hunters Club at Lindøya, Oslo

Most people in Christiania, as Oslo was called at the time, considered Lindøya with awe, since the distinguished Christiania Hunters Club was housed there. Membership was reserved for men of the upper classes and professions, such as wholesalers, professors, lawyers and landlords under the motto “mutual comfort and entertainment.”

Cabins at Lindøya, Oslo
Cabins at Lindøya, Oslo

The association was proudl to have King Oscar II among its members. He stayed frequently at his cottage on the west side of Lindholmen. You may see his former somewhat elaborate cabin if you take the ferry to Nakholmen.
In the 1900s, however ordinary working people began to settle on the island and the upper class people’s desire to stay there disappeared. The only explicit reminiscence is the Regulars’ House down by the northern ferry pier.

Feature image (on top): King Oscar II’s hunting cabin at Lindøya.

The Royal Past of Lindøya, Oslo, written by Tor Kjolberg